How to register a birth abroad with the US Consulate in Costa Rica

How to register a birth abroad with the US Consulate in Costa Rica

When a child of one or both U.S. citizen parents is born in Costa Rica, he or she becomes a Costa Rican national. However, even though he/she was not born in the United States, he/she does have the right to a U.S. passport U.S. citizenship.

Whether this is your situation or you are interested in knowing more about it, this article is for you.

How to start the process?

First of all, you should report the birth of your child as soon as possible to the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate. In Costa Rica it is located in Pavas, San José.

If the application is filed before the child’s 18th birthday, you will acquire the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), which is the official document for claiming a child’s U.S. citizenship.

What is the CRBA and what is its purpose?

The CRBA can be issued to both U.S. and non-citizen nationals. A CRBA is intended to document that the child is a U.S. citizen at birth, despite being born in another country.

The purpose of the form DS-2029, is to collect all necessary information on a child of a least one U.S. citizen parent born abroad, in order to determine whether the child qualified for a U.S. citizenship at birth and is therefore eligible for a CRBA.

Who can apply for the CRBA of a child?

Only the child’s parents, legal guardian, or person acting in loco parentis, may apply for a CRBA on behalf of the child. Generally, the application must be filed in the consular office nearest to which the applicant was born, and signed before a U.S. consular officer or a consular agent.

The name(s) and other relevant information of the parent(s) through whom the child’s U.S. citizenship is claimed must be stated on the CRBA. If there is a parent who does not convey U.S. citizenship this can be placed on the CRBA as long as this parent gives their consent.

Keep in mind

A CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship; however, it is not a travel document and is not a substitute for a passport for travel purposes.

It is important to note that a CRBA does not serve as proof of the identity of the child’s legal parents. While it is true that the name(s) of the U.S. citizen or national must be placed on the CRBA, this is done to show that they have a genetic or gestational connection to the child.

How to apply for a CRBA?

You may apply for a CRBA by completing Form DS-2029. Please note that the application must be signed before a consular officer, notary public, or other person qualified to administer oaths at the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica.

If one parent is not a U.S. citizen or if the U.S. citizen parent transmitting citizenship to his or her child is not present when applying for a CRBA, that parent must complete Form DS-5507 as supporting evidence, and this can be used to mention and keep track of the periods the person has been in the United States.

If the child was born out of wedlock and the parent is a U.S. citizen or a non-U.S. citizen, the person would have to file Form DS-5507 to acknowledge the child and voluntarily agree to support the child financially.

Form DS-5507 must be also signed by the parents at the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica or before a U.S. consular officer or foreign official who registers births or is responsible for oaths.

How to register a birth abroad with the US Consulate in Costa Rica

What to submit with the application?

1. The child’s birth certificate.

2. Proof of U.S. citizenship and identity of the parents. This can be a U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, CRBA, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a timely filed U.S. birth certificate.

3. Evidence of the U.S. parents’ physical presence or residence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to, affidavits, school, employment, tax, bank and medical records, utility bills, rent receipts or other official public documents. In some cases, evidence of time spent working abroad for the U.S. government, the U.S. Armed Forces, or a qualifying international organization, or as a dependent child of a person working abroad for such entities prior to the child’s birth is also acceptable.

4. Marriage certificate of the parents, if applicable.

5. Proof of the termination of any previous marriage of the parents (divorce decree, annulment decree, or death certificate).

6. If a person other than a parent of the child is applying for the CRBA, a certified copy of the legal guardianship or notarized affidavit from the parent(s) authorizing a third party to file the application, must be submitted.

If once you have read this article, you have any questions or want to know more information related to what was mentioned you can contact us and we will be happy to help you.